Tuesday 4 October 2011

Medical Student’s pilgrimage to Korinnaya hermitage in svaboda village, Kursk, Russia.


It was a sunny Sunday morning with the cold wind of Autumn. My friend Sajith called me. I was in a deep sleep. Time was 10 AM (Its Sunday). “Happa are you ready to leave?” I was Amazed! Then I remembered the discussion to visit Korrinnaya hermitage. I suggested the trip. I couldn’t reject the initiation. After one hour we were at the bus stop to catch a bus to Korinnaya. A drunken fireman was in the van.  He was talking and joking with us till the end of our journey. It was a funny half an hour in the van. The drunken guy asked from Sajith “from where are you?” Sajith Answered “India” Then he asked from me! I told him “Pakistan”. Pakistan and India! He amazed. He didn’t know that he was our joker. We reached the Cathedral. All of us were Buddhists. But the environment around the cathedral gave us the same calm state in the mind when we were in a Buddhist temple. Many devotees were walking to the cathedral slowly.
About corinnaya…….
It’s one of Russia’s oldest cathedrals. It’s very famous to Kursk root icon of god mother. Two hunters who went to the woods found the icon. The icon is very famous to its miracles.  In the war period it carried to America. Now the icon placed in a church in United States. Each and every year the icon brings to Korinnaya cathedral in Kursk. The icon found near by a tree root in the woods. In the same place there is a fountain which never cutoff. A natural fountain with pure water. Everyone drink its water to take the god’s blesses. According to some devotees there is a special power of healing in this fountain.
We followed the Russian devotees though we were Buddhists. We gave one note with list of names of our group. We didn’t forget to add a not about our parents too. The interior of the cathedra is gold plated. We bought candles and offered them just like other devotees. One of the clergy women asked from me about my religion. I told “I’m Buddhist” she was very happy to see us there.
In the evening we came to our hostel by the same vehicle. I would like to appreciate the cathedral and the friendly devotees for their dedication. Especially I would like to be thankful to the church. These churches have made a big contribution to make the people calm and more civilized after the soviet period.  Russia is a country which have involved with two world wars. Post war periods weren’t pleasant. The soviet political regime kept the religion in a bottom place in their agendas.  This resulted a big polluted condition in the Russian society. It’s not the political face which showed to the world. The contribution made by these orthodox churches to overcome such a period should be appreciated.


Charith
Kursk Russia.
Related links
http://www.kurskroot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment